CoinOPS Xbox Project

The Ultimate Xbox Emulator Frontends For All The Family
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to The CoinOPS Xbox Project Forum

You are currently viewing our CoinOPS boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

Post subject: So I bit the bullet....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:05 pm 

I found a Blast City cab with monitor issues locally for $350. After consulting the guys at arcade-projects forum, and after speaking with PNL Video in California (thanks for the tip, Randy!), I jumped on it. Well, $300, with a bit of trade :)

It's a Sega Bass Fishing Blast City cab. It's got the original Sega Blast City I/O board, and original Nanao MS2931 arcade monitor in it. The MS2931 has chassis issues that John at PNL says shouldn't be a problem to fix. It's got a Blast City 1L6B panel, and a modified Virtua Tennis panel (to 2L12B).

It's missing the loom to allow Naomi/Jamma/JVS to play (that's actually 2-3 looms, but I'm only interested in the Sega -001 Jamma/JVS loom currently). It's missing the looms that connect player controls to the PCB loom above. It's missing the CP bezel (for the move list), and it's missing the coin chute that guides coins from the CP drop into the coin mech. And it's missing keys.

I've ordered the bezel clips, and will make the actual bezel from some tempered glass windows I have lying around. I'll be pulling the locks and hoping that I can either order a key, or I'll be replacing them with non-original locks (which is, tbh, fine with me). I'll be attempting to fashion the coin drop chute from metal flashing, which I can easily work with. Failing that... well. I'll figure something out.

The more I read about Blast City, the more that I realize how much work I've got ahead of me to get this up and running. Worst case, I crimp up my own -001 and auxiliary looms, and back-mount a Wells Gardner D9200. Best case, I find cheap, used looms and get it back to original Blast City configuration, then mount in a VGA-modded X-Box, and switch between that and my few arcade PCBs for some good old fashioned gaming!

I'll see if I can get some pix up soon. All in all, it's in nice shape. Needs a thorough cleaning though! And eventually a new Blast City 2p panel as well as new side art (the old art is serviceable, but left side piece does have a small tear in it that's noticeable up close, but not far away).

This is my first stand-up cab, as I'm still (forever) working on my MsPac Cocktail... This one is much more versatile, however, and I'm quite excited! And I'm quite hopeful that PNL was legit when they said repairing my chassis isn't a problem, as I would absolutely LOVE to have the tri-sync working in this thing!

I'm hoping that I can eventually come up with a way to easily rotate the monitor as well. Will have to study on that a bit. Good thing is that Dad has a welding shop, so fashioning whatever is needed to build that mechanism shouldn't be too hard - it'll just be the designing of it so that it cleanly integrates.

Will keep you guys posted!

UnitMonster's CoinOPS User Guide
EmperorB10S's List of Add-On Packs
My Twitter Feed

Post subject: Re: So I bit the bullet....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:36 pm 

Pics? Curious to see if we have parts you need.

Nice site for manuals, wire diagrams, and parts lists. Including header and sticker repros.
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Blast_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm 

nice, these were based on dreamcast like hardwire right?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:20 pm 

Randy, I've got pix on my phone. Some, anyway. Mostly, I need wiring looms and whatnot. These looms seem to be rather hard to come by, at least at affordable prices. So far, I'm looking for pinouts to see if I can crimp my own up. Tedious, but something that I'm more than capable of.

Thanks for the site, btw - I've been reading through it and other forums voraciously the last few days, trying to come up to speed.

hey69, these could run Dreamcast-like hardware (Sega Naomi), but they could also run Sega Model 2/3, Jamma, JVS, MVS (with an adapter between the jamma loom and the Neo Geo MVS PCB). The Blast cabinets were compatible with these out of the box through an innovative, passive adapter plane that all of the cabinet's electronics and power connected to. To hook up any of the compatible systems, you simply got the loom for those systems, plugged it into the appropriate slot on the IO board, then connected the amp connectors up to the cabinet controls. It made switching games, or going from system to system a very simple process.

The down side is that because of the amount versatility of the Blast, it's a shame to convert it to a standard jamma/naomi cabinet, as you're killing the whole reason to have a Blast over say, a Net/Astro City, or even a bog-standard wooden Jamma cab. So I'm trying to find a few things to keep it as original as possible.

I've recently learned that the Sega Bass Fishing Blast cabinets like mine shipped with a different power supply than their Japanese-distributed counterparts. For those that don't know. Japan uses NTSC frequencies and power - ie USA can purchase a Japanese Dreamcast/X-Box and just plug our power cord into the power port and start playing without issue. Japan uses 110V whereas we use 120V here. Japanese Blast power supplies have no problem using our 110V, and this keeps them ultra compatible with CAVE boards or other boards that expect to see 100V. The problem is that the Sega Bass Fishing PS is 120V, and it can't step-down to 100V when a board needs it, rendering it incompatible with boards that expect it.

This (hopefully) isn't going to be an issue for me as I really plan to use this with Jamma/PC/X-Box anyway, but it is something to be aware of, especially if I go to sell it at some point in the future.

So, while not on my must-have/needs list, I'm also on the look out for a Japanese original power supply. Which seem to be rather expensive. Like $150 type of expensive. Which means it likely ain't going to happen :)

My Twitter Feed

Last edited by Maverick1978 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm 

I saw this Sega cabinet in our storage warehouse. It's mostly all there. I don't know if some of it could work with yours. Heck I don't even know if they even want to party it out yet but first things first ask you. I think we have parts so if you send me a pic of the power supply you need we might have it. You never know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:32 pm 

That's a pretty nice cabinet, bud. It would almost be a shame to just part it out unless the monitor is dead. It looks like a modified Naomi Uni with a pedestal bolted on rather than having the CP attached to the main frame (same one that the monitor bolts to)

If it's in the original configuration It MIGHT use the same internals as mine? Not sure. It might have the Nanao monitor and chassis I have (or a compatible chassis). It might have the loom that I need - I'll have to research it!

Thanks for checking... I'll PM you further

*edit - looks like Sega Virtua Golf also shipped in that cab, not a Uni, but another weird Sega cab

My Twitter Feed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

thanx for the info. well i remember naomi games on those white cabinets. thats what i thought it was (like virtua tennis)
http://akihabaraarcade.blogspot.be/2013 ... tores.html
found some info about these .anyway isnt it feasable to create a universal powersuply with a
atx multiformat pc power suply?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 am 

Good luck with your new cab Mav-sounds like a lot of work which is also a lot of fun :)

pics bro?

Padhack for sale http://coinopsproject.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5855

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:26 am 

I haven't really taken many pix of my own. Mainly because it's in my storage bin currently which is a mess :) Partly too because I don't have internet access anymore except with my phone, which is a company phone on a shared plan which is monitored. So... have to be careful to try and use it on wireless mostly. Which I usually only have access to at work. Which is where I'm not longer allowed to just let myself in whenever I want to use Internet since current company minds (previous owners didn't). - yeah, fun...

So the monitor was pulled by the guy I bought it from when I bought it. Since I had access, tonight I've removed the CP, and 2 of the 3 locks on the access doors - I can't remove the one on the Coin box as it's inaccessible from the interior, so far as I can see at this point. The lock on the CP was removed, sadly. Looks like I have 2 of the 4 locks on the system are original Blast 5575 locks. 1 of the 3 locks that I do have is an aftermarket. Original Blast locks and/or keys are expensive. I think I'll chew on trying to keep them original or sell the two that I have for the $20 each that they seem to pull and then replace with all aftermarkets.

I'm really having trouble finding an 001 jamma/jvs loom. I'm about to put out a general want on a few forums, see if some kind soul has a used one that they're willing to sell me. The new ones that Ken at the Gameroom has are $200. Just a bit more than I'd like to spend on one :P

There is a specific Jamma-only loom that I can purchase from Canada that interfaces with the IO board in the cab. It's about $66 shipped. I'm chewing on that too... I was hoping to spend in the $100 range on the full 001 loom, figuring that it would run me about $50-60 in parts to crimp up my own, plus likely days as I obsess over if I pinned everything out correctly. And that's assuming that I can find a pinout... which no one seems to have anywhere.

I really need to get the room in my house prepped so that I can get the cab in-house and really start playing with it. hehe....

OK. So have my phone and wireless now... Pix!! These were taken by previous owner. First is cab as I purchased it with monitor pulled. You can see the 1l blast cp here. The second is during one of the intermittent times the monitor powered on (he ran a Capcom setup in the cab, bypassing blast io totally). You can see the modified virtua tennis cp here. I've circled the damage to the cp under the move list bezel - this will thankfully be hidden when I fix the bezel!

Attachment:
Capture+_2017-04-23-08-48-29.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170327_191756.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Twitter Feed

Last edited by Maverick1978 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:53 am 

First pic - sega blast io board closeup. This is where the magic happens and is a large reason that Blast is so versatile

Second pic - cp closeup.

Attachment:
20170427_142432.jpg

Attachment:
Screenshot_20170418-134142.png

My Twitter Feed

Last edited by Maverick1978 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.