CoinOPS Xbox Project

The Ultimate Xbox Emulator Frontends For All The Family
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The CoinOPS Xbox Project Forum

You are currently viewing our CoinOPS boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

Post subject: Weird Issue with Premium 8 Massive R4 :(
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:16 pm 

So I left my Xbox on overnight three days ago while running premium. When I turned the tv back on premium was froze in game flip screensaver. So I tried Castlevania from the PSX in premium and when I exited it froze in Castlevania. So I downloaded R4 again and transfered by flashfxp in UnleashX. No games have frozen since then BUT.....
I changed the screen saver to astroid last night. This morning I checked on my Xbox. Astroids were being shot. So I thought cool it's not frozen. Then I hit a button.

I got a black screen.
I hit back and start.....Nothing
I hit the A button several times.... Nothing

I then clicked the thumb stick down....It went to settings....Cool it is not frozen...Sorta

Even if I exit settings it goes back to a black screen that I cannot select a game (even though it's black I thought it was just visual) by pressing the A button a bunch. But anytime I click the thumb stick down it goes back to settings.

If I restart the Xbox it runs fine again..... At least for a long while. WTF is going on....Tell me that's not freaky deeky bat **** weird!

Any ideas?

Edit.....I have CoinOPS massive R6 and left it on over night and it started back up. Now XBMC freezes over night. Hell I freezes allot so..... There's that anyway....I don't really use it except for the file explorer and music anyway.

Post subject: Re: Weird Issue with Premium 8 Massive R4 :(
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:25 pm 

possibly over heated?
check ventilation, dusty fans, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 pm 

That's what I thought but CoinOPS works perfectly. I just went through it with new thermal and cleaned it out with canned air and wiped the fan blades down back in June of last year. Also clipped the cap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 pm 

Randy,
Not sure if it's a cooling issue , but you can cut off the Tin along the right and left sides of the xbox with some metal nips for extra air flow.

If it's not that, perhaps it's a storage storage issue; either no / not enough space or perhaps the drive is on the fritz.

Could also be a missing file, you can reload massive via your ftp tool and just select overwrite on different size option so it will go by faster.

Also try a different controller, sometimes buttons get stuck which causes erratic issues.

Last edited by gman101 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 pm 

Also not sure if you're using a Sata Drive with a IDE Adapter, but if you are you check to make sure it's securely connected and consider using hot glue to keep it together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 am 

Highscores: 1
I was having similar issues. In my case, I was getting random freezes and my FTP transfers were failing at seemingly random points. I was able to rule out leaky capacitor, overheating, and HDD capacity/failure.

My problem ended up being my SATA/IDE adapter. I replaced it with one of my extras and the problem vanished. Frustrating as hell for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:56 am 

Therich wrote:
I was having similar issues. In my case, I was getting random freezes and my FTP transfers were failing at seemingly random points. I was able to rule out leaky capacitor, overheating, and HDD capacity/failure.

My problem ended up being my SATA/IDE adapter. I replaced it with one of my extras and the problem vanished. Frustrating as hell for sure.

Really? Hum I have several I could try. If it keeps on after some more tests I'm doing that. Thanks bud.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 am 

Maybe there is an electricity leakage at the adapter.
Mav gave a tip to tape (for isolation) the pins on the back of "naked" adapters, such as my Manhatten. Check it for heat damage prior to Therich's & gman101's tips.
Some HDD models tend to get pretty warm, even ideling.
If you still have that plastic cage (like I do) & flattened / folded the cable at the back of it, airflow can be deminished towards it working great as heat-trap there.

Just out of curiosity, Randy: Why do you run your box overnight?
Simply to test this or is BOINC available for the xbox?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 am 

smithis wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Randy: Why do you run your box overnight?
Simply to test this or is BOINC available for the xbox?

It froze up on me playing Castlevania in PSX on premium first. Then I accidently left it on over night and it froze up. So I said AH HA!!!!-- AH HA AH HA!!!! So I am trying different things to see what has caused the freezing to make sure it's OK. I can't lose my HDD cause I don't have one as a spare. I have too much on there too lose it if it's going to die then I would have to stop playing it for awhile. That would make this guy sad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 am 

Though for testing it makes sense. But then you should work on that given checklist instead of keeping that HDD working all night, soon.