CoinOPS Xbox Project

The Ultimate Xbox Emulator Frontends For All The Family
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The CoinOPS Xbox Project Forum

You are currently viewing our CoinOPS boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

Post subject: Building a new PC, advice welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:21 am 

Right now my only working computer is a laptop that's literally being held together by 2 C-clamps (because the sockets the screws that hold the case together go into are stripped), and kept in working order by 4 external fans (and it still crashes from overheating sometimes).

Thanks to my tax return, I'm gonna have around $800-900 to work with to build my next computer, and I'm going to have to build it from scratch, meaning everything from the case, down to the RAM is going to have to fit in that budget. There's still a week or three until my return comes in, but I'd like to have everything I'm gonna need to buy figured out by the time I actually get the cash. This budget is for the tower alone, I don't need a new monitor.

Some of the parts, like the sound card, can be cheaper options that I upgrade later, but the core components, such as the Motherboard and CPU, need to be able to handle the load of my end-goal.

My end-goal for this computer is to be able to handle VR, even if not at the highest qualities (I'm fine if the best it can do is mid-quality...is this even realistic on this budget?). It should also be able to handle rendering 3D environments at 4k resolution (Playing some of the better 3D PC games would be nice, but mostly I want it to be able to run FFXII in PCSX2 at 4k resolution with all the best graphics settings with no problems).

I'm a bit biased towards Intel processors, but am more than willing to use an AMD, if there's a good enough reason to use it over a similarly priced Intel chip.

Can anyone offer some advice on what to buy for this system?

Post subject: Re: Building a new PC, advice welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 pm 

Best I can say is .. besides this isn't really the best forum to discuss this is and try joining something like this http://forums.vrheads.com/.
IS:
1. Hit microcenter if you're in the states ... I'm assuming so because you're talking tax return. Some may disagree with me here (there are cheaper places to buy parts) but I think they have a fantastic return policy and a knowledgeable staff.. you may even find a VR enthusiast among them :).
2. Stick with Intel if you're considering emulation and high end gaming cost maybe 30% or more than AMD, but the performance especially for high end gaming is generally better
3. Get the beefiest Graphics Card Available - NVIDIA comes to mind.. they power our beloved Xbox :)
4. Stick with SSD hard drives for storage 1tb + -
5. As much ram as the board can stand
6. Try to get The best cooling system and venter case available

I think with your budget you may be able to accomplish the above.

Let us know how it turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:43 pm 

Another good place to ask is

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildmeapc/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 pm 

I've just built one not for vr but it can play all latest games at 60fps at 1080p without a graphics card but my motherboard can take two with crossfire and a fractal designs case amd apu a10 ram is 16gb
120gb ssd just for os total cost around £450 -500

Attachment:
51lm9M+4D9L._SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Ac ... B00KA99U1Q

Also this is a good place too
www.pcpartpicker.com

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:45 pm 

You can blow a lot of money with a case. If you're in the states, there are some budget options from Rosewill and DIY PC available on Newegg that aren't top-tier, but have nice features and are a good case for the money. And there is usually free shipping involved (keep an eye out on spotlight deals and email specials). Deepcool is another one that seems decent for the price.

I personally have an LGA 1150 premium Asus board with a 3550k i5 in there. These were bought a few years ago, and packed up shortly after being built for reasons I won't go into. They're still essentially new with only a few hundred hours on the components before being unpacked recently. It's got 32gb ram (way overkill) and a recently-added 6gb MSI GTX 1060.

The 1060 is a rather unique card, as it is an extremely low-power PSU that can be ran off of a 400 watt power supply without issue. It's powerful, allowing for VR and hardware encode/decode of 12-bit hevc (x265), which is important to me. It supports 4k video without issue, and its the best card for the dollar value at 1080p resolutions. The MSI version that I've linked is awesome... it's a very slight step below EVGA's best offerings, but at a steep discount from EVGA's price, and with much better features (EVGA doesn't provide a backplate) - note that I don't care about lighting, but my MSI offers that. EVGA doesn't. It's also a slight step below the Asus STRIX card (ie this is the 3rd best GTX 1060 currently on the market) - but the margin between #1 and #3 are very slight. The price differential between either of the others and the MSI made up my mind (I got mine on pre-Christmas winter sale for $234.99 after MIR, which has already been received). Do note, however, that the 1060 is NOT capable of running SLI.

All in all, with a ~$60 PC case, $80 2tb Seagate HD, ~$275 video card, and ~$80 16gb ram, you've plenty left in your budget for a decent i5 cpu/mobo combo, especially if you look at a new or used previous generation chip. Or you could go new and get the best combo that your remaining ~$300 will purchase, which shouldn't be too bad of a system, but not premium/gamer level.

I can tell you that I max settings with Arkham Knight on my setup at 1900x1200 and have noticed no issues. If I were building a mid-budget PC build today as you're trying to do, I would search out a near top-tier previous-gen mobo with an unlocked CPU and go to town. Disclaimer - I don't have a need to constantly upgrade and don't plan on gaming at 4k resolutions or with dual monitors. I also don't need to have every game I play set with maxed-out video settings, so SLI has never been something that I've needed. For me and my habits, this style setup will last me for several years, properly cared for. And it fit my budget (~$700 a few years ago, all new components, including a $150 top-tier Cooler Master gaming case and ~$250 recently to bring it to modern gaming spec, as the previous video card I had in there just wasn't cutting it)

UnitMonster's CoinOPS User Guide
EmperorB10S's List of Add-On Packs
My Twitter Feed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:14 pm 

Good call and Great Info Mav.

Edale ,Skip over the part where I recommend a 1tb solid state.. I just checked and they're still hovering around 300 which is a good chunk of your budget and you can always upgrade at a later time. As Mav just mentioned you can get a good 2tb for around 100 dollars. Western Digitals Black series is best for spinning sata.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:17 pm 

If the budget really does become an issue, then I'm more than capable of going skimpy on the HDDs and RAM, since those are the easiest things to upgrade down the line. I doubt I'm gonna need a SSD HDD right away, and it's going to be a while before I'm actually ready to get VR setup (will probably take a good 6 months for me to save up the cash for a decent VR headset).

I think the only core bits that NEED to be the best when I buy them would be the MB, CPU, GPU, case, CPU cooler, and power supply. Pretty sure I can upgrade everything else later if needed.

And I will NEVER use another Seagate HDD. Especially one of their higher capacity ones. The last 2 I got both failed before the HDDs were even close to being filled up (and let me tell you how annoying it is to get a new 3TB HDD, move all my data onto it, then have the drive die before I'm even done copying everything over... especially as I was deleting the old HDDs as I copied them, so it was a permanent data loss of over 2 TB of data).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm 

Sorry you had those problems, bud... I've not had those issues with Seagates at all. Maybe I've just been lucky! WD Black is what I prefer, I just don't like the price tag associated with them - usually 175% of what a comparable HD costs. A series that I've had really good luck with is the Toshiba P300 series - I own 5 of them and have put them through the ringer... they still spin like champs.

I wouldn't recommend less than 8gb or RAM. You can pick up an 8gb kit in the $50 range and be ok, especially if you get 2x4gb. Personally, 16gb is the minimum on a desktop PC, and then just because I know at that range I'll never have to worry about it again. Case... it's window dressing. PSU... do NOT skimp. Seasonic is nice, EVGA G-series are really, really nice (and carry a whopping 10yr warranty). You don't need to splurge for Platinum level. In a pinch, go for Bronze level at a minimum. A 750W EVGA G2 80 Plus Gold can be had in the $80-90 range, and it's a really good power supply. You don't need to go higher than that even for an SLI-enabled rig despite what you may hear some of the E-Peen PC crowd crow about. The Pascal Nvidia GPUs really sip the power and are quite powerful.

I personally never overclock, but have a buddy that never doesn't overclock. You can always do your homework on what CPUs handle good overclocks and buy cheaper, then run it hot. You do run the risk of burning them up more quickly, but if you're the type that upgrades regularly (rather than ever 5-6 years like me), then you might not mind that.

Any direction that you try to go, it should be a fun ride - so enjoy planning and building your rig!

UnitMonster's CoinOPS User Guide
EmperorB10S's List of Add-On Packs
My Twitter Feed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 am 

Actually the case can be rather important for a higher-end machine. The case changes how noisy a PC is, as well as having significant impact on how much a PC can be expanded upon (and I'm the type to have 2 optical drives, a 3.5" floppy drive, and 6+ HDDs; so I need the expansion space), and have a MASSIVE effect on cooling and airflow. Depending on the cost of the other main components, I'm probably willing to spend upwards of $150 on a good case (though obviously I'd go cheaper if a good cheaper option is available).

And deciding the PSU before knowing the other component's power draw is a BAD idea. Ideally your PSU should have a max rating about 100-150W above your power draw. Too close to the max rating and long-term you run into power supply problems, too far below the max rating and you get similar problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:32 am 

Here is a pretty decent place to start the case is a bit expensive,
but it comes with a power supply and the build is still pretty powerful.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cyFKkT