CoinOPS Xbox Project

The Ultimate Xbox Emulator Frontends For All The Family
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to The CoinOPS Xbox Project Forum

You are currently viewing our CoinOPS boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

Post subject: Replacing one CoinOPS version for another.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

I have to be missing information on this in an obvious place, but I looked everything. I basically need to uninstall Premium Massive and put on 8 Massive. It's my understanding that it gives more games. I'm not sure if this is as easy as FTP into box and remove what I originally put on (the Premium directory) and then put Massive in its place? Or if there are other places I need to clean up files before doing so.

If I am stuck with Premium that's fine...it's a great novelty piece under my tv. But just in a greedy mood. Thanks for any help here.

Post subject: Re: Replacing one CoinOPS version for another.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:28 am 

Hi & welcome to the board, seriphinx.

Well, just to rule out difficulties first, everything with Premium in it's name is Premium.
The builds just and/or only saying CoinOPS must NOT be mixed with Premium.

When searching this site, which is the only reliable resource regarding BP's apps, use a search engine like google.
Type the following line into the searchbar:
site: coinopsproject.freeforums.org premium update

So you want to uninstall Premium Massive to put on Premium Massive?
If we are talking of Premium 3 vs. Premium 8 here, then just delete that old Premium Massive & FTP the Premium 8 Massive to your xbox.
There is no installation routine with the official Premium 8 Massive build.

If you talk about CoinOPS & your urge to delete Premium is due to HDD space, then the procedure is the same as above.
CoinOPS has no install routine as well & contains more games than Premium.
If you don't need to be concerned about space, keep Premium & nest CoinOPS in there.

Terry68 has a great video tutorial on how to do that.
Once again, use a search engine & type in the following:
site: coinopsproject.freeforums.org nest CoinOPS premium

The search on freeforums is just a waste of time. It's crap.

The most obvious place to look for info is the FAQ sticky...
There the difference between CO & Premium are explained.
Just take an official build from BU & add packs yourself!
Other downloads are reported broken & won't get support here.
It's a waste of time to maintain a mashed up old version which has a bloated gamecount, where most just don't work.

Once again, the FAQ sticky is your friend & will give you the answers regarding packs you might have in mind ATM.

One of the most important aspects to me always is: Know your build!
Just look at what you download. Check the folders, the files, the structure, the readme, etc.
Doing so makes things clearer for you.

If there is a question you can't find the answer to, this is the most helpful & supporting community I know - so just shoot!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:22 pm 

Thank you for replying.

I guess I am still a little confused. I currently have what I think is called Premium Massive on there now. It has a ton of Arcade and then for console just NES. SNES, and Genesis I think.

From what I can understand about about CoinOPS 8 Massive (as opposed to Premium Massive which I currently have), in comparison, is that it has more games, but less of the eye candy as far as front end aesthetics go. I just know I see both of these as options open for download. At the time the front end look of Premium won me over. But I also found out after the fact that things like 'Advanced Options' are missing from Premium but not in CoinOPS. So I realize now that there are differences. I have just had a hard time finding any tutorial on completely removing one and putting in its place, another. My fear was corrupting files in some way and then getting flung down a rabbit hole of finding the culprit and repairing before transferring CO8.

My original thought was that I simply FTP in, grab the same Premium Folder that I transferred the first time; delete it; then transfer in CoinOPS8Massive and all is well. I assume its not that easy?

I'll keep Premium if it means accidentally bricking my Xbox in attempting to put on CO 8 Massive lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm 

Coin-ops is BP's brand name frontend (basically all in one emulation program)
Coin-ops is like base model
Premium is like the model with all the nice options aka ART

Both are a Coin-ops brand. Just think of a truck or car having an updated model is premium.

Coin-ops although is almost a completely different program than it's Premium version.

Coin-ops usually has a static image background with a in game video to demonstrate each game. The different filters year/name/times played/model/type and etc is what makes Coin-ops different than premium. It makes sitting through finding thousands upon thousands of games easy to manage.

Premium is very dynamic with several moving images on screen with each game. Premium is setup into something similar to a folder system. Each pack/game folder has whatever you want in each folder (assuming the frontend supports it).
The beautiful art is what truly sets this apart from Coin-ops. It's truly amazing the visuals that are possible from the old Xbox.

Premium since it runs on a folder style can have several different packs/folders with say for instance an NES pack and a Zelda pack both on the same build. Meaning you could have as many of the same game/ROM as you want in different packs/folders.

Coin-ops since it is based on organizing can only have one game name in the whole build. That way it can keep your build tidy and clean.

I have both on every Xbox I own. Both have their own special purposes. Boils down to how much room you have.

Have a good one bud hope this helps! :) :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:31 am 

Again...
Delete what you don't want & FTP what you want.
None of BP's applications need any sort of setup prior or after using.
As Randy I have both on the xbox. If you have the space, I recommend that.
If you don't, well then mark the Premium folder & hit DEL.
It won't mess up anything OUTSIDE Premium.
Bear in mind though, that all games coming with Premium (e.g. which are shown in the GUI) will be gone! No doubt about it. No exception.

Hit the FAQ sticky.
site-faq-and-welcome-t4623.html

It explains some on the differencies. But Randy pointed it out quite good.
Comparing Premium to CoinOPS is like comparing these:

For people new to BP's apps. CO is a good choice. It has strict rules, you learn about in it's readme & here. Following those, you get a perfectly working moar-games-machine!
Premium is more libarate in most ways. It needs you to use your brains, but then it's functionality is only surpassed by it's sheer beauty.